By Carla Schuit- MPH, RD, LDN
Having the correct balance of macronutrients is key to ensuring proper, healthy and balanced nutrition. I, like many, have a crazy busy schedule so I need to plan my meals ahead. I usually pick one or two days a week to cook for the next few days. I need recipes that are easy, nutritious, and low in cost that I can get multiple servings out of. So needless to say they need to reheat well.
I could eat breakfast anytime of the day. I love it. Below is a recipe I recently created that is easy, quick, simple, delicious and nutritious!
Total Time (about 2hrs- can minimize by prepping your potatoes)
2 sweet potatoes (baked)
4 eggs (optional)
16 oz carton egg whites
1 cup spinach
4 pieces uncured bacon
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Pierce sweet potatoes about 5 times and bake until just done, about 30-45 min. Let cool and peel. (can save time by cooking potatoes ahead of time)
3. Chop bacon into little pieces and cook through in a pan.
4. Decrease oven temperature to 350F.
5. Slice baked sweet potatoes into even width slices. Line 9 x 9 greased baking pan with sweet potatoes (may have some potato left over depending on size of potatoes)
6. Top with 1 cup fresh spinach
7. Sprinkle bacon on top of spinach.
8. Pour egg white container over sweet potato, spinach and bacon.
9. Crack one whole egg over egg whites in each corner (optional)
10. Bake 15-20 min until egg whites are set.
Let cool. Top with Salsa or your favorite topping. Excellent reheated and delicious!