By Shannon Flanagan – CPT
I recently splurged and bought a Vitamix. I never thought I could love a kitchen appliance so much. This machine makes all my shakes, soups, apple sauce, sauces, salsas, and also nut butters (if I have the time to make them) I have made my healthy version of ice cream and pancakes in them as well. This month I will share with you some of my favorite treats and easy recipes to make.
Kale and Pear Smoothie
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1/2 cup of Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 ripe Bartlett pear, seeded, halved
- ½ medium size banana, peeled
- 1 cup (70 g) kale
- 2 cups (480 ml) ice cubes
- Place all ingredients into the blender container in the order listed and secure lid..
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High. (if you have a vitamix)
- Blend for 45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
Blueberry Protein Pancakes
- 1 scoop Whey Protein Powder (flavor of choice)
- 2 or 3 Egg Whites
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ cup Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp. Powdered Stevia
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1tbsp. of almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Blend oats in a blender. Stir dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients in the blender and mix on medium (batter will be thick).
- Heat pan on medium heat.
- Spray with nonstick spray and slowly spoon or ladel batter into pan.
- Add blueberries on top of the mixture in the pan.
- Cook time will vary, mine took about a 90 seconds before I flipped them.
- Top with fruit and powdered stevia.
- 4 (680 g) apples, seeded, cut into large pieces, with or without peel
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Place all ingredients into the blender container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to slower speed for chunky or faster speed for a puréed consistency.
- Blend for 10-20 seconds or until apples are chunky or puréed, using the tamper to press the apples into the blades.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Shake
- 4 oz of vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- ¼ cup dry oats
- ¾ oz raisins
- 1 cup of ice (or made until consistency is as desired)
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon and nutmeg
- Place all the ingredients in a blender, blend, and enjoy!
Almond Butter (made with vitamix)
- 3 cups (440 g) unsalted roasted almonds (soak them for a few hours prior)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) coconut oil
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Use the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- In 1 minute you will hear a high-pitched chugging sound. Once the butter begins to flow freely through the blades, the motor sound will change and become low and laboring. Stop machine.
- Store in an airtight container. It can also be frozen for longer storage.
Source: Chocolate Chilli Mango http://chocolatechillimango.com/2011/11/01/banana-cinnamon-protein-pancakes/#.UiKVcrzpbFE